Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Walnut Canyon National Monument

The next day after my Verde Canyon Railroad ride, I traveled to Flagstaff for a few days. I camped at a great little campground called Black Bart RV Park. They even have a Steak House there that has a dinner show ( I did not attend).



Located about 7 miles from my camp was the little-known Walnut Canyon National Monument.



I spent several hours there thinking back to what it must have been like to live in this primitive location. They did have a great view of the deep canyon just a few steps from their front door. Their source of water was from a small river at the bottom. From the Visitors Center, there are 177 steps down to the ruins that are about half way down the canyon walls.



Looking across the canyon, you can see one of the places where the Indians lived around 1100 AD to 1250 AD. They do not know how many lived here but I would guess no more than 100 at any one time.



A closer view



Closer still.













Those same 177 steps now have to be climbed up. That would not be so bad but remember this is place is over 7,000 feet in elevation. (double click on pic. below to see stairs)

No comments:

Post a Comment