Friday, June 12, 2009

Lassen Volcanic National Park

The weather forecast for the next several days is for thunder storms and showers in the afternoons. Especially in the mountains and foothills. Well, one of the places that I have never been in all the 71 years of living in California, is Lassen Volcanic National Park. After moving my camp from Lodi to Red Bluff and getting set up again, I decided to adventure out early the next morning to visit Lassen. Hopefully, I would be ready to leave before the weather got bad. The skies had broken clouds when I arrived at the entrance to the park. However, that quickly changed to heavy clouds with some periods of small hail the farther up the mountain I went.



I did stop and see a boiling mud pot shortly after I left the entrance.


At the summit, was where pea-size hail started falling.


It did not last very long. In fact, as I traveled slowly down the mountain, there was a break in the clouds and the sun shone through.



But with all this snow and cold weather, a beautiful flower can still grow for us to observe.



It was very beautiful up there even with all the stormy weather. There were very few people up there and I could travel just about as slow as I wanted without someone needing to pass. A GREAT DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment