Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Big Eyes



One of the first pictures I took while experperamenting with my new camera was of Shonda's cat, Sadie. I think I will have a lot of fun getting aquainted with all the features of this camera. The manual is about 1/2 inch thick with small print so it will take a while to go through it. But time is one thing I now seem to have plenty of.

Last night (Tuesday) Jim and I attended an Apple Vally Fire District directors meeting. They had on display two new fire engines that were going into service. The engines looked really well equipped and ready to go. After the meeting Jim and I were talking with one of the Chiefs who also serves on the board of the Water District. While we were looking at a gigantic satellite picture of the Mojave desert that was hanging on the wall, I mentioned that my grandfather had an alfalfa farm in Lucern back in the 1910 -1920 era and when the Chief asked his name, I told him. He said that he thinks he remembers seeing that name in a book called "Rising Dust" written about the Lucern area during that period. I will try and see if I can hunt down a copy of that book and check it out when I return to Apple Valley in April.

If the weather forecasts holds true, I will be leaving Apple Valley on Friday or Saturday and head for Barstow to watch trains for a couple of days before moving on to Laughlin, NV.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment